Paqueta links re-emerge, one-off kit to be worn at Brighton, Souness discusses summer '05 transfers
THE BEST OF TUESDAY'S NEWS AND CONTENT
- Graeme Bailey and others report that Newcastle are back in for Lyon's Lucas Paqueta and Marseille striker Bamba Dieng
- Bailey alleges that Lyon are prepared to do business at around £33million
- Dieng's agent supposedly pushing Premier League move
- Murmurings of a third bid for James Maddison
- Links to Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi and Everton's Anthony Gordon persist
- A new source, Football Italia, claim that Atalanta striker Luis Muriel is close to joining the Magpies
- Tenuous links to Chelsea's Conor Gallagher (Bailey) and Benfica striker Goncalo Ramos (Portuguese journalist Pedro Sepulveda)
Fourth kit revealed
- The club has confirmed that the usual pre-match warm-up shirt will be worn by the team at the Brighton game this coming weekend
- The club states that this is due to a logistical issue of the away kits each clashing with Brighton's home, but the news feature reminds readers that the warm-up version will be available to buy imminently
Graeme Souness wanted Anelka, not Owen
Chris Hughton discusses promotion in 2010
- The former manager opened on his successful spell with Newcastle with The Coaches' Voice
Demba Ba moves into club ownership
- Former Newcastle striker has purchased Senegalese second division side Amitie FC
- Ba, who scored 29 goals in 58 games for the Toon, recently said of the new Newcastle:
"With Newcastle United, it's like; they came in, everyone expected them to splash the cash and kill the transfer market, but no. They are building a team and I would like to know what their objectives are this season, five years down the road and ten years down the road. I'm sure they would like to win the Champions League but - the way they are moving forward - they are building the foundations. I think that's smart.
Wilson talks Newcastle targets and England
Quotes from The Mirror:
“I am sure double figures would get you into the squad. I have to hit the ground running. At the moment I am probably not in the running but it is something that is in my mind, focusing on, and when I set my targets I try to achieve them.
“We will see where we end up in 15 games. It is about clearing mini hurdles. Little tests I set myself as a striker. Getting off the mark. Get back-to -back goals. Get braces and hat-tricks. We were favourites against a newly promoted side. I wanted to score, and I did that.
“My goal ratio is good and it is about maintaining that and adding to that. It is one goal now, but don’t score for ten games and it has gone to waste. Same with the team, back it up next week at Brighton.”
“For me it is about keeping that noise quiet this season. Putting that doubt to bed. I have no doubts about my body.
“Sometimes I am my own worst enemy. I go out there 70-80pc because I want to help the team. It doesn’t do me justice. I have had a good pre-season, very good physically and I’m 100pc fit. The more I am on the pitch the more I will score and the more records I will try to achieve.”
“Is it fun playing here now? Honestly, for many years at Bournemouth, a smaller club, match days stimulated you, but not the same way as it does here. You walk out here and the atmosphere is immense.
“I have scored a lot of goals early on in games here because I am an excited schoolkid to be out there.”
“Ah [the goal] was easy! I knew Joelinton would put it in first time and I just had to get my timing right across the defender. It was about having a one versus one duel in the box. I flicked it in. It bounced up at the right time and I was grateful to stick it in.”
New Pod On The Tyne podcast
- Taylor Payne, George Caulkin and Chris Waugh discuss the Forest win and the background to the recent piece on the matchday experience
Shearer impressed with Schär and Bruno at the weekend
After the weekend's win and Howe's transfer soundbites, it's no surprise that the United news feeds are being furnished yet again with transfer links. Hopefully Ashworth et al can find that cherry to go on top of what is starting to look like a very well-iced cake.
See you on Wednesday for the next bunch of names.