Newcastle United Women's Development Team launched
Newcastle have confirmed that the Women's team will be supported by a development team from the beginning of the 2022/23 season.
What we know:
- The development team is effectively a reserve team, forging a pathway into the first team
- It is the first time the Women have had a reserve squad since 2016
- Women's manager, Becky Langley, told the club website that she wants Newcastle to be "the home of talent in the North East," and that the development team is part of the strategy to achieve promotion to the WSL in the future
- The team will feature in a Reserves league of its own, alongside equivalent teams from the likes of Manchester City and Brighton
More information about Newcastle United Women:
- The team currently features in the National League Division 1 North, the fourth tier in the Women's league pyramid.
- They finished 2nd in the 2021/22 season, narrowly missing out on promotion to Liverpool Feds
- On the 1st May this year, the team featured at St James' Park for the first time, as an incredible 22,134 spectators saw them overcome fellow fourth division side Alnwick Town 4-0
Brief action from the Alnwick Town game from a fan in the crowd: