TODAY'S TOP STORIES
See below for the biggest stories and content from 5th August.
James Maddison transfer link
- Brendan Rodgers says he and Wesley Fofana are not for sale
- No other updates
Jack Harrison transfer link
- Leeds Chairman Andrea Radrizzani states that there is "no way" Harrison leaves the club this summer
- No other updates
Lucas Paqueta transfer link
Bruno Guimarães' comments:
“Paqueta in black and white again? It is difficult to say. I would love that! But I don’t work in this area. I am a player. I invited him and we play together in my garden. It was only this.”
Armando Broja transfer link
- Thomas Tuchel tells reporters he expects Albanian striker to stay at Chelsea
Other transfer links
- No significant news today
- Tenuous links to Rennes' Kamaldeen Sulemana (RW), Leicester's Ashley Barnes (LW) and Marseille's Bamba Dieng (ST)
Squad numbers for the 2022/23 season are released
- Kieran Trippier taking number 2 is the only notable change
- Matt Ritchie retains number 11 shirt despite talk of leaving earlier this summer
- Numbers 14, 15 and 16 remain free
- Discusses contract extension
- No progress on transfers but insists that they are working on attacking recruitments, despite not having blank chequebook
- Claims that a good season means: "Improvement in every area; whether that's with the ball, becoming a bit more free-flowing and dominant, being comfortable in possession, becoming better defensively and expressing our philosophy in every way."
- Emphasises his desire to win a trophy with the club
- Shelvey in London seeing specialist; Fernandez and Manquillo approaching full fitness
Sven Botman gives his preview of the campaign to come
The results of the Newcastle United Supporters' Trust survey are revealed
- 99.2% were happy or very happy with the outcome of last season
- 94.2% were confident that Newcastle could achieve a top 10 finish this season
- 98.5% were happy with the start the new owners had made
- 95.9% were satisfied with the communication from the new owners
- 79.7% would like to see independent regulators in football
- 84% want to see the introduction of a golden share, allowing fans to have an input in to the running of their clubs
Shearer offers view on the season to come
I'd love to say I think Newcastle will be fighting it out with Manchester United for a place in the top six, but I don't quite see that happening yet.
Eddie Howe has already done a great job to turn the club around since he was appointed as manager in November and now my hope is that they will be challenging for seventh, eighth or ninth place, which I think is realistic with the squad they've got at the moment. They finished 11th last time, and were only three points off eighth place.
Another signing or two could make the difference there, especially up front - Chris Wood arrived from Burnley in January but so far he is the only striker Howe has signed. With Callum Wilson's history, you would think at some stage he is going to get another injury and they will need some more attacking options.
Whether they go for a striker or a different type of forward player - there have been reports about bids for Leicester's James Maddison and Harvey Barnes - it is definitely in that department that they need to strengthen.
Dabizas visits training ground
- Steve Harper tweets about his former teammate
Wor Flags' tribute to the day's big news